200 Seeds Calico Aster Seeds Symphyotrichum lateriflorum Aster Family Asteraceae Grown in Illinois FarmRegular price $11.99 Save $-11.99
- The upper leaf surface is medium green, while the lower leaf surface is light green.
- The upper stems and some of the side stems produce panicles of flowerheads up to 10" long and 6" across.
- Each flowerhead has numerous small disk florets that are surrounded by about 8-12 ray florets.
- The corollas of the disk florets are initially pale yellow, but they later become brown or reddish purple; they are short-tubular in shape and 5-lobed.
- The preference is light shade to partial sun and moist conditions. Full sun is tolerated if the site is not too dry. Growth is best in rich organic soil, or a moisture retaining clay-loam.
This is a perennial plant about 1-3' tall that branches occasionally, often leaning toward one side. The stems are light green or reddish brown, and they have lines of white hairs. The alternate leaves are up to 4½" long and ½" across, becoming much smaller as they ascend the stems. They are narrowly lanceolate, oblanceolate, or elliptic, becoming linear near the flowerheads. There are usually a few teeth toward the tips of the larger leaves, otherwise they have smooth margins. Some hairs may be present along the major veins on the undersides of the leaves.