100 Winter Melon Seeds, White Ash Benincasa Hispida ash Gourd White Gourd, Winter Gourd Organic Non-GMO SeedsRegular price $17.99 Save $-17.99
About this item
- Winter melon is a large fruit grown in warm climates that can grow beyond 1 foot long and weigh more than 40 pounds. It resembles a large watermelon with its oblong shape and dark-green, waxy skin. Unlike a watermelon, the inside of the flesh and seeds are white, it is tasteless, and it …
- Cubed or sliced, winter melon can be steamed, simmered, braised, or parboiled and added to stir-fries. Best used in soups, you can season this rather mild and bland melon with strong spices and herbs. Winter melon is suitable for pickling and can be diced and candied. Whole winter melons will keep in a cool place for months and likely up to one year
- Winter melon, or ash gourd, is a fruit that’s commonly used in Chinese and Indian cuisine. With the scientific name Benincasa hispida, it’s a member of the Cucurbitaceae or gourd family, along with cucumbers, melons and zucchini. It also goes by the names wax gourd, white gourd and winter gourd.
- Ash gourd, also known as Benincasa hispida, winter melon, wax gourd, white pumpkin, and Chinese watermelon, is a fruit native to parts of Southern Asia
- What It Looks Like. Winter melon is a large fruit grown in warm climates that can grow beyond one foot long and weigh over 40 pounds. It resembles a large watermelon with its oblong shape and dark-green, waxy skin.
- Winter melon plants grow as a vine and produce fruits that look very similar to squashes. The vine and its leaves also look much alike to those of squashes. For some varieties, during the growth stage, a soft fur covers the skin of the winter melon. Later on, when the fruit reaches its maturity, this hair falls off, and a waxy
- Winter melons are annual plants, which means you have to plant it every year to get new crops. The name “winter melon” may mislead many gardeners who try to grow this plant for the first time. It was named this way because you can store it for a long time after harvesting and because we can enjoy it even during winter.
Winter Melon White Ash Benincasa Hispida 100% Organic Non-GMO Seeds.. Winter melon, scientifically called Benincasa hispida, also is commonly called the wax gourd, the ash gourd, white gourd, and the winter gourd. Its seasonal name probably comes from the fact that while grown during the summer and autumn, it can be stored and eaten during the winter months. Fuzzy melon, called mo gwa or mo qua, is a vegetable that is native to Chinese and Southeast Asian cuisines. It looks like a zucchini covered with fuzz; however, while zucchini is a type of squash, fuzzy melon is a gourd. It is an immature winter melon, a mild-tasting fruit often used as a vegetable in Asian cooking. Fuzzy melon is used in a number of dishes such as soups and stir-fries, and is also stuffed and steamed. The fuzz needs to be removed before using; removing the seeds is optional and will depend on the preparation. Winter Melon Squash is not actually a squash; nor is it actually a melon, though it is related to both. In an effect to distinguish it, some English synonyms draw on the word gourd instead. It is treated as a vegetable in Asian cooking. For the most part the melons are round, though they can also be slightly oblong.