150 Seeds Extra Long Luffa Gourd Seeds USA Asian Chinese Okra Loofah Non-GMO Heirloom vegetable seedsRegular price $26.54 Save $-26.54
- Fruit & Flower:- The bottle gourd is a vigorous, annual, running, or climbing vine with large leaves and a lush appearance. It grows fast and may begin to flower only 2 months after seeding. The leaves of the bottle gourd are up to 15 inches wide, The bottle gourd flowers are borne singly on the axils of the leaves, the males on long peduncles and the females on short peduncles. The flowers are white and attractive, up to 4 inches in diameter, with spreading petals.
- Luffa, loofah, loofa, sponge gourd, gourd luffa, luffa sponge, smooth luffa, dishrag gourd, Egyptian luffa: Botanical Name: Luffa aegyptiaca, Luffa cylindrica: Family: Cucurbitaceae: Plant Type: Annual: Mature Size: 2-3 ft. height, 8-12 ft. spread: Sun Exposure: Full sun: Soil Type: Well-drained: Soil pH: Slightly acidic (6.0 to 6.5) Bloom Time: Summer: Flower Color
- Latin Name: Luffa aegyptiaca. Days to Maturity: 170. Description: Grow your own sponges! This is a fun plant to grow if you love projects, and especially with kids.
- Needs support to grow this plant as it is a vine Germination: 10 to 15 days from sowing Features:- Bottle gourd is a vigorous, annual climbing plant, producing stems about 9 meters long.
- Extra Long Luffa Gourd, also known as "Chinese Okra," or "Sponge Gourd," is a prolific, vigorous variety that produces extra long gourds, up to 15 per plant. Extra Long Luffa has a green skin
Luffa is a genus of tropical and subtropical vines in the cucumber family (Cucurbitaceae).
In everyday non-technical usage, the luffa, also spelled loofah, usually refers to the fruits of the species Luffa aegyptiaca and Luffa acutangula. It is cultivated and eaten as a vegetable, but must be harvested at a young stage of development to be edible. The vegetable is popular in India, China, Bangladesh and Vietnam. When the fruit is fully ripened, it is very fibrous. The fully developed fruit is the source of the loofah scrubbing sponge which is used in bathrooms and kitchens.
Needs support to grow this plant as it is a vine Germination: 10 to 15 days from sowing Features:- Bottle gourd is a vigorous, annual climbing plant, producing stems about 9 meters long. the leaves are simple (i.e., lobed or unlobed but not separated into leaflets)Leaf arrangement alternate: there is one leaf per node along the stem Moisture & Soil:- A plant of the moist, lowland tropics and subtropics. It can be grown at elevations up to 1,600 meters, but economic crops are only produced below 500 meters. It grows best in areas where annual daytime temperatures are within the range of 19 – 27°c but can tolerate 12 – 38°c Plants are killed by frosts. It prefers a mean annual rainfall in the range 1,200 – 1,800mm, but tolerates 700 – 2,800mm Prefers a warm sunny position sheltered from the wind. Prefers a well-drained, moist, Goodrich circumneutral soil that requires plenty of moisture in the growing season. Prefers a pH in the range 5.5 – 7, tolerating 4.5 – 7.5