Green Tea Powder in Weight and Abdominal Fat Loss
Although there are many genetic and environmental factors that can cause weight gain, the main causes of being overweight and obesity are believed to be an imbalance between food intake and energy expenditure (i.e. calories in> calories).
ROLE OF GREEN TEA CATECHINS IN WEIGHT LOSS
Green tea is a leaf that is not fermented from Camellia Sinensis plants and contains a number of biologically active compounds called catechins and epigallocatechin galtes make almost 30% of solids in green tea. Recent studies have found that green tea catechins, especially EGCG play an important role in weight loss and body fat composition.
Green Tea Catechins
While catechins form ~ 30% of the dried weight of green tea (where 60-80% are catechins) oolong and black tea, which are produced from the leaves of tea which are fermented in part or fully fermented containing about half the content of green tea catechin.
Drink 8-10 cups of green tea per day enough to increase blood EGCG levels into a measurable significant range. Matcha, green tea powder used in Japanese tea ceremonies and is popular in cold green tea drinks such as bubble tea, containing EGCG concentrations 137 times greater than Chinese green tea tips.
Weight Loss Effect of Green Tea Catechins
MetaStudies from 11 Catechin Green Tea studies found that the subjects consumed between 270 to 1200 mg of green tea catechins / day (i.e. 1 - 4 tsp powder matcha per day) loss an average of 1.31 kg (~ 3 lbs) for 12 weeks.
How do Green Tea Catechins Work?
The mechanism where green tea catechins reduces weight and reduces total body fat and especially reducing the amount of abdominal fat that is still investigated. Currently thinking that catechins are green tea;
- increased thermogenesis; i.e. increased heat production which would result in increased energy expenditure (or calorie burning)
- increase fat oxidation (or using body fat as energy)
- decrease appetite
- down-regulation of enzymes involved in liver fat metabolism
- decrease nutrient absorption
Green Tea Catechins and Milk
There seems to be some disputes in the literature about whether the casein (protein) in milk binds green tea catechins, makes them not available for absorption in the body, which is why Matcha drinks are often made with non-milk drinks such as soybean milk, almond milk or rice milk (which Don't have casein).
Consume between 1 - 4 tsp powder matcha per day (270 to 1200 mg of green tea catakin / day) enough to produce a weight loss of around 3 lbs in 12 weeks (without changes in diet or other activities) and to reduce the body significantly fat composition and reduce the amount of abdominal fat.
Warning to pregnant women
While EGCG has also been found similar in its influence on the etoposide of Anddoxorubicin, a strong anti-cancer drug used in chemotherapy, high intake of polyphenol compounds during pregnancy allegedly increasing the risk of neonatal leukemia. Bioflavonoid supplements (including green tea catechins) should not be used by pregnant women.
Recipe for Iced Matcha
- 1 tsp matcha (green tea) powder (contains ~315 mg catechins)
- 500 ml soy milk
- crushed ice
- Place 1 tsp matcha powder in a small stainless-steel filter and press gently through a filter into a small bowl with a small spoon back
- Insert the Matchama powder that is colored into a ceramic or glass bowl (not metal, because the tannin in tea will react and provide drinks and "off" metal flavor)
- With bamboo shakers (available at the Japanese and Korean grocery store), Whisk 3 tbsp boiled water and cooled into Matcha powder, until all lumps are lost and the mixture is smooth
- Place 1/4 cup of ice crushed at the bottom of the glass high (16 oz / 500 ml)
- Pour matcha and mix water on ice in the glass
Leave a comment