I have to admit that, while I love crafting, I’m best at the practical crafts. If you need a salve, or a syrup, or an infused oil, I’ve got you. But if we’re talking about decorative, pretty sorts of crafting, I rely on my friends. I don’t know if it’s a lack of patience or a dislike of finicky details, but I find things like hand-forming perfectly round bath bombs to be an exercise in frustration and I live in a small home without space for lots of fancy soap-molds and gadgets to help me along. This is why I really like projects like homemade potpourri and this fizzing lavender bath powder for winter crafting projects—because I can easily and happily produce a wonderfully packaged and fully appreciated gift of herbal goodness.
This fizzing bath mix gives you all the fun and soothing qualities of a bath bomb, without having to make the bombs or wait for them to cure. Although this recipe is for one bath, it scales up easily to make a bulk batch that you can then bottle for gift giving. Trust me when I say that no one would ever hire me as a holiday present wrapper (it’s that finicky details problem again), and one of the beauties of fizzing bath powder is there is no wrapping required. I package my gifts in interesting upcycled jars. Then I cut out a label from craft paper, punch a hole in it, and tie it onto the jar with a piece of twine. It looks homespun-classy and everything is recyclable, which I count as a double win.
Fizzing Lavender Bath Bomb Powder
Makes enough for one bath.
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 20 drops organic lavender essential oil
- 1/4 cup non-GMO citric acid
- 1 Tbsp. organic lavender flowers (optional)
- 1 tsp. organic jojoba oil
- In a bowl, combine baking soda and lavender essential oil and stir to combine.
- Add citric acid, lavender flowers, and jojoba oil. Mix thoroughly.
- If making ahead, store in airtight container in cool, dark area away from moisture and out of the reach of children and pets.
To Use: Pour the mixture in the bath after the tub is filled to take full advantage of the fizz.