Artichoke Leaf Bitters
As someone who has needed to navigate the world of challenging and limited diets, I often depend on bitters to encourage the healthy digestion my body so regularly denies me. When I "oops" on something that doesn’t settle well with my tummy, I reach for one of my favorite bitters. If there isn’t a bottle of Urban Moonshine’s Original formula around, I make my own!
When making a bitter, I think of it in three parts; bitter, aromatic, and citrus. While generally all of the ingredients will have a bitter quality to them, this model helps me craft an enjoyable bitter sans extra sweeteners.
BITTERS INGREDIENT BREAKDOWN
Organic bitter herbs:
Artichoke leaf, Oregon grape root, blue vervain, gentian root, dandelion leaf, yellow dock root, motherwort, etc.
Organic aromatic herbs:
Cardamom pods, star anise pods, cinnamon sticks, clove, cedar leaf, ginger root, hops flowers, lavender flowers, lemongrass, pink peppercorns, fennel seeds, etc.
Orange peel, lemon peel, lime peel, grapefruit peel, etc.
I always start with one choice from each category. Once you have a nice bitter foundation you can easily determine what might complement the flavors. Complicated bitters don’t always mean a more effective recipe. Simple is my go-to.
ARTICHOKE BITTERS RECIPE
- 1 Tbsp organic artichoke leaf
- 1 Tbsp organic orange peel
- 1 Tbsp organic cardamom pods
- 4 oz. organic vodka (80 proof)
- Place each herb or citrus in their own small glass bottle with cork top or mason jar.
- Cover each herb with vodka (roughly 4 oz)
- Cork the top and let it sit for 3 days to 2 weeks, shaking gently once a day. You’ll be surprised with how quickly the flavors start to take over! Let sit until it’s as strong a flavor as you like.
- Strain herbs using our stainless steel funnel with strainer and combine equal parts of each extract into a ½ oz amber glass bottle with dropper top.
A COUPLE DRIPS OF BITTER AROMATICS TOO MUCH FOR YOU? TRY A BITTERS SODA!
- 8 oz carbonated water/club soda on the rocks
- 1-2 squirts of Artichoke Leaf Bitters
Leave a comment